With all the hoopla over Brenda Novak's visit with the Prairie Chicks I haven't had much time to blog. But, here's what happened in April:
- Our basement and land flooded around Easter. Check out my previous blogs for the story in photos.
- I took a jaunt down to North Dakota for mail and to recce my Prairie Junction site in spring, and I headed up to Davidson to meet with my writing group.
- Due to being on self-imposed internet restrictions while I worked on the taxes, I only commented on a couple blogs. I was very surprised when I learned I'd won a free book on each of them!
- Instead of reading 10-12 books a month, I think I read 2 in April. (gasp) And, I still haven't reveiwed the 3 or so I read in March. Yikes!
- I came 5th in the Inspirational category of the Linda Howard Award of Excellence contest. Yes, I cried because although I was still a finalist, there were only 5 finalists and that put me last. I found out Sat while checking my email at the Husky gas station in the city. I'd dropped off the other 2 mbrs of our writing group and then held it together as I drove home. It finally hit me around 2 pm the next day and I was bawling when Facebook asked 'What's on your mind?' So, I told all my 100 or so friends. And do you know what? Their quick responses contained (((hugs))) and congrats and reassurances about my writing. Within hours, I was back to normal and eager to write some more. So, thank you to the creators of Facebook and all my friends who are part of it.
- On the 30th, Brenda Novak joined us on the Prairie Chick blog and we actually received a total of 83 comments. Brenda is a gifted novelist, author of some of my favourite books, and her on-line auction benefits Diabetes Research. Go check out the hundreds of items at www.brendanovak.com. There is something for everyone and this week she's starting a new $1 Buy it Now items. She said, 'I'll randomly post these throughout the auction month, in no particular category. If you're the first to find this special item, you get to buy it for a buck. Some of these will be really valuable, too--including some reads from editors and agents. So keep your eye out and visit the auction often. You never know what you might find!' Dontcha just love a good treasure hunt. :)
- I did something stupid to my laptop and had to do a complete system recovery. I'd saved all of my documents which included my writing on flash drives, so I've been on my knees thanking God that I have those, and I had most of my photos on SD cards so they're safe. But all my email files and contacts (excluding my Hotmail acct) and internet bookmarks are gone. A lot of those were for sites to do with the technical stuff of blogging and researching and it will take time to gather them again. But yes, my writing is safe. Good thing too because I've just been asked for a partial on Marry Me, Ma'am? which I'm ecstatic about and now busy tweaking before submitting Monday morning.
-I bought a new HP mini (netbook) to travel around with me. Yes, I have a laptop, but it weighs over 7 lbs and it's big. My new mini fits in the bag I carry everywhere anyway and I'll be able to write on the spot whenever I find myself with time to spare while waiting for the kids. I don't mind being their chauffeur as long as I can write while I'm waiting. The new mini includes Word 7 and OneNote7. The Word 7 is a learning curve which will take time but I'm loving the changes that make it easier on a writer such as the current word count in the bottom left corner. That will save time.
My goals for May:
- I'm participating in a writing blitz with other witers of the Sask Rom Writers in preparation for the Spring Retreat. So, those goals are my goals for the month:
REVISIONS. Need I say more?
Okay, that's it for me. Try to get over to Brenda Novak's auction. It's run just like eBay so it's real easy and all the proceeds go to a very worthy cause.
Now it's your turn - tell me what you've been up to . . .