Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My Faith Fiction at the Inkwell: The Shepherd

I have a short piece of inspirational romance over at the Inkwell today called The Shepherd.

And if you think you've read it before, you may have read the secular version I posted at Prairie Chicks Write Romance last year.

This Inkwell version is a faith-filled story of hope and promise.

Which reminds me... I have to apologize to 3 authors for my 2009 book review of The Magic of Christmas which I received as a free copy.

I believe I did a disservice to Carolyn Davidson when I wrote: The first novella, however was written by Carolyn Davidson. a new author to me. I have to say I wonder what the editors were thinking when they put her novella first in this anthology. Why? Because I expected something Christmassy with love and forgiveness - especially after looking at the gorgeous cover with a young couple holding a baby. But, the first novella starts with disease, death and was depressing to me. I actually wondered why I was reading it.

Ever since I wrote that review I've questioned myself. Rarely do stories start with the 'happily ever after'. And even the biblical story of Jesus' birth starts with strife when Joseph is faced with the news that his betrothed is pregnant and not by him - a condition which could have led to Mary being stoned if he decided to press the issue.

With each story I read and wrote this past year, I thought about the words I'd written about Carolyn's novella, 'A Christmas Child'. Yes, it starts with disease and death, but that's because the heroine is at a low point in her life when we pick up her story. We need to know what she went through so we can appreciate her emotional state as new events unfold.

So, I'm sending out an apology to Carolyn Davidson, Victoria Bylin and Cheryl St. John who are the 3 co-authors of The Magic of Christmas. And I'm telling the rest of you that if you enjoy reading secular historicals for a feel-good feeling, this book is certainly one you should read.

Please leave a comment if you have anything to say about this post or my inspirational romance at the Inkwell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on, tell me what you think...